William Ruhm is a First Year Fellow serving at East End House as the Middle and High School Fellow
1. What is your favorite part about serving with The Massachusetts Promise Fellowship?
2. Share a story of how your service made an impact at your host site, so far this year.
This year I am leading what I am calling a Hip Hop Curriculum. The curriculum is extremely student-driven, focusing in on student thoughts and experiences (I speak little, and mostly speak to ask guiding questions to help and to challenge students to think through and articulate their thoughts). I think this curriculum has really opened other staff members at my site to the potential that lies in culturally relevant, student driven curriculum. I have noticed a number of staff members using some of my techniques : )
3. What MPF training(s) have you found most helpful in your work with youth?
4. How do you practice self-care?
I practice self-care by going through a 15 minute Buddhist meditation ritual every morning (…ok most mornings).
5. When you were younger, was there a youth worker that made a difference in your life?